Thursday, March 08, 2007

Shop Girl - Dodgy Old Men

Don't want this to turn into a 'film blog' but I really have to write a little note on this amazing film.

The girl who rented this to me mentioned that it left her a little lost and that it was a weird film. I totally connected with this film ( and please watch all of it, don't march over and turn it off - slowly realizing that Limb is a pervert) and found it to be a thing of beauty.

It is a brave move for Steve Martin because it leaves him not looking so great. That, for me was part of the beauty. In what starts off looking like an exercise in self aggrandizement spirals into something quite the opposite. I won't say much more other than Claire Danes is beautiful. Watch it to see someone who can act - portraying so much through very subtle facial change. Of course there are not so subtle moments - but it is a film that lingers. the soundtrack plays a huge part in that.

I have to warn some of you that if you decide to watch this film, be prepared to have your values challenged. It is a love story between a 26 year old and a 50 year old, and yes I most assuredly cringed. There's a whole lot of in your face stuff here - but as the film draws to it's conclusion I thought the insights about Lust and Love what we think we want and what we need are beautifully portrayed. It is heartbreaking to see Martin's self inflicted isolation as the revelation dawns on him. So many men in his position - well, maybe not anywhere as rich. The voice over jars and I don't think it is necessary but then what are you gonna do. And yeah you can tear the film apart. But this is my blog, and I'll cuddle bags of poo if I so please.

One day I'll go on about Miller's Crossing. Watched it again the other night and it still sits there as my all time favorite film. And you care because....

2 comments:

  1. The thing that stood out to me about this film was that even when Steve Martin's character realised he had stuffed everything up - he was able to dismiss the realisation with an off-hand comment - about a lesson in life, despite the destruction and ruin he had caused.

    The message was "Hey everyone - it's ok to try whatever you want, sleep with women young enough to be your daughter and at the end of the day - at worst it will just be a lesson in life.

    Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the relational aftermath that inevitably followed.

    The camera pulled backwards over the lights of LA as we listened to Steve Martin's chartacter's insipid voice over dismissing all that he had done with a single blaze comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wrote a blog about it at the time, now I remember:

    http://directorsblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/walk-line-shopgirl.html

    BTW - we need to sit down and watch Miller's Crossing together sometme - I'VE NEVER SEEN IT!!

    ReplyDelete